Consultancy and advice
Morgan’s consultancy work includes advice or participation as a reference group member for numerous national and international institutions, such as:
- The UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, including at an Intersex expert meeting on ending human rights violations against intersex persons, in September 2015.
- The Asia Pacific Forum of National Human Rights Institutions, as a member of the reference group for a manual on Promoting and Protecting Human Rights in relation to Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Sex Characteristics, published in June 2016.
- The UN Special Rapporteur on health, in relation to a report on Sport and healthy lifestyles and the right to health, published in April 2016.
- A Council of Europe inquiry into the rights of intersex people; this was followed by an Issue Paper published in April 2015.
- UNESCO, on school bullying in the Asia-Pacific region, 2015.
- The UNDP, including on the development of intersex-inclusive LGBTI development indicators, 2015.
Morgan wrote OII Australia’s submissions to Senate Inquiries on anti-discrimination legislation, and the Involuntary or coerced sterilisation of intersex people in Australia, and participated in public hearings on both issues. We secured ground-breaking inclusion of “intersex status”, a physical attribute, in anti-discrimination legislation, and also what we understand is the first parliamentary report on intersex health issues anywhere.
Formal submissions include:
- A submission to the Australian Human Rights Commission on intersex rights (February 2015).
- A submission to the UN committee Against Torture (PDF), endorsed by the Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome Support Group Australia, National LGBTI Health Alliance, and People with Disability Australia (October 2014).
- Submission to the National Health and Medical Research Council on the ethics of genetic selection against intersex traits (April 2014).
- A series of submissions to a Senate inquiry on the involuntary or coerced sterilisation of people with disabilities, and intersex people (February to August 2013).
- A submission on the draft national Health and Physical Education curriculum (July 2013).
- Submission to a Senate inquiry on the Sex Discrimination Amendment (Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Intersex Status) Bill 2013 (April 2013).
- Submission to the Senate Inquiry on the Human Rights and Anti-Discrimination Bill (December 2012).